Welcome to the Spruce Street School PTA
The Parent Teacher Association for PS 397 in New York City
Upcoming events & important dates
- Friday November 18th: New families' coffee at Variety (Beekman St) after drop off.
- Spruce Experience Art Walk with Maureen Mahony POSTPONED - date TBD
- Thursday November 24th: Thanksgiving. No school (nor on Friday 25th)
- Wednesday November 30th: PTA General Meeting on Zoom 11am.
- Friday December 2nd: First Friday Spruce Experience Cookie Exchange 6.30-8pm. Tickets here.
- Friday December 9th: Spruce Experience Cookie Class with Akiko Kimura 4-5.30pm. SOLD OUT.
What we do
Spruce Street School is a New York City Public School. It means it gets its funding from the Department of Education (DoE) of our city, like all public schools - that is, from the taxes we all pay. Unfortunately, DoE funds do not cover all the expenses that the school needs to be such an amazing learning community. And that's where we jump in.
How we fund what we do
OK, so all that is pretty amazing, but it's also expensive. We invest hundreds of thousands of dollars every year, for every child in every grade. We organize fundraisers (which aren't just fundraisers - they are also sensational community-building events) and we campaign for donations from our families and corporate sponsorships. If you can, please donate to the PTA. It makes all the difference.
How to get involved
All parents (or legally appointed guardians or persons in parental relation) to students currently attending Spruce Street School, and all Spruce Street School teachers are automatically members of the Spruce Street School PTA. No membership form is necessary. Just click here to know more.
So just jump in and help. Volunteer your time. Come to meetings. Give your thoughts. Ask questions. Donate what you can. The Spruce Street PTA makes wonderful investments in our children and our community, but we only can do that if we do it together.
We hold a monthly meeting (General PTA Meeting - see schedule) where all are invited. We usually have a report from the school Principal, a financial update on the PTA and updates on all issues concerning the school and activities organized by the PTA. It's a very good place to start.
While you're at it, you could also follow us on Facebook and on Instagram.